Police Applications for Intervention Order

Police operate under a Code of Practice for Investigating Family Violence Matters. This sets out what their response to family violence must be, and what action they must take. One of their responsibilities is to apply for an Intervention Order if they believe you or your children are, have been, or will be at risk of family violence.

If police have come to your home, workplace or another setting and have applied for an Intervention Order on your behalf, a police prosecutor or police lawyer will be present when your application goes to Court. If you agree with the police, you can speak to the police prosecutor, police lawyer or the police liaison officer about what conditions you want on your order. The police cannot give you legal advice. While they will in Court inform the Magistrate of your views, they represent the police applicant, rather than you directly. You may want to speak to your own lawyer, particularly if you have questions about family law.

If you disagree with the Intervention Order the police are seeking, you will need to speak to a lawyer about your options. They can then negotiate with the police on your behalf.

There are a number of different orders police can apply for on your behalf.

Please see the Types of Police Applications section of this site for details.

This page was last updated: 
Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 11:16